Thursday, June 25, 2009

Last day in London

Before beginning this post, I should apologize for being so late. This entry documents Tuesday June 23rd, the day right before we left.

This day has been an extremely busy yet typical and fascinating day for Ivy Tech's Humanities 250 class. First stop, The British Museum.
We have barley even stepped inside and I'm already loving this architecture! But there is much more to see than just that.

Let's have a look at the Egyptian exhibit, shall we?



First of all, here to the right is the Rosetta Stone. I remember always hearing about this thing in school or on TV but I never imagined I would actually see the real thing so close. As you can see, it was difficult to get a shot since we were not the only ones excited to see it. This is the thing that made everyone realize that Egyptian hieroglyphics are more than just spooky drawings. It is the key to the language.

EWW!!!!

I'm sorry but this is the part I find unnerving. Yes indeed it is fascinating and not many people get to see these things. I am glad that I was able to be there but I don't like Mummies. For some reason there was another one which was unwrapped for some reason, but don't worry. I'll spare you.















The jars on the left were used to hold the mummy's organs. The little men were also in the mummy's tomb to serve him in the afterlife.















Nice jewelry! I suddenly feel like shopping.

Here we go. Our last day abroad in the big city, so I guess Kelly decided to give us the opportunity to just really do whatever we want! So Carrie, Kristen, Kevin and I decided to go exploring. Our original goal was to visit Kew Gardens, so we took the subway. When we arrived, we realized that we unfortunately did not have enough time to actually go into the gardens. So we went back and just wandered around London, taking it easy. It was very nice to actually relax and take in the culture.



After all this we met back with the gang at the Tate Museum! Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take pictures inside, but this was probably one of my favorite stops on the trip. If I ever come back to the UK (which I most definitely plan to) I will certainly visit this museum again. I loved the artwork and the varieties of artists here. It was even somewhat emotional for me to see these pieces by such influential artists like Salvador Dali, or Andy Warhol and many more. I loved seeing the different styles and statements. I was so moved that I could have just stayed all day examining every piece. Maybe next time. Probably.

Everyone is all dressed up for the theater, which was just as entertaining. We were not allowed to take photos in here either, respectively. The play was called The observer. I'm no critic, but personally, I give it about 5 Kylie heads. The acting, the story, the environment, I actually felt like I was apart of it all.

What a wonderful day to top off a wonderful journey. This is something that I will never forget and I feel much more cultured. I will certainly miss our adventures together and I hope to keep in touch with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment