Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bath

Unfortunately there were problems with the hotel's internet yesterday, but one of the many places we went to was the city of Bath. But, more importantly, the Roman baths within Bath.

Romans liked to name streets and things after what you would find there it seems so it would only make sense for the town to be called Bath since it is the only hot springs in England. Today it is a very rich town still. Nicholas Cage has a house there as well as Johnny Depp. Also, all the buildings are made out of a honey colored bath stone. But, I digress.

the Roman baths were a place to go if you were important and wanted to be seen. You would spend the whole day there socializing and eating and, or course, bathing in the hot mineral water there. these Roman baths however were built on top of old sacred druid grounds. The druids believed it was a sacred place and thus the Romans built there not only for the baths but to try and break the druid nuisance as well. I was actually very interested in seeing these and Stonehenge that day because as sad as it sounds I was getting a bit castled out and it had a little more to do with my research topic (the druids).

I wish I had brought a usb drive to show you all pictures. The town was very lovely. I would live there too if I had the income. There were many statues of animal-human hybrids and street preformers that were interesting as well. the baths themselves were guided by an audio campanion and while it was a farly well devised one, I felt more like I was having fun just forgeting about it and reading and looking.

The bath water iteslf, as I said, was very rich in minerals and by those days standards it was good for you. They attracted many doctors to that area who would prescribe to you how much of the water you should drink a day. An artist community came as well but Bath ultimatly fell out of fasion when someone decided it was better to bath in the ocean. The Saxons later built there as well and even buried their dead there occasionally. Today the water is anything but sanitary. It had a murky blue green color that I knew meant stomach parisites were soon to follow if one were to drink it.

However, there you do have the option of drinking a more "purified" version of it for 50p or for free if you have a bath ticket. And Kylie, Brooke, and I all did. They both had other opinions but I thought it just tasted like a salty penny and downed the glass just cause I'm gross I guess.

If one were to ever visit the UK and had time, I would highly recommend you spend it in Bath. It really was facinating, fun, and (not that everything else wasn't exellent but) it is a somewhat refreshing sore thumb if you well in comparison to all the other cathedrals and castles one should visit while here.

No comments:

Post a Comment